Sunday, January 6, 2008

Ron Paul 2008

The new hotel is better than the other in that the breakfast here is really a breakfast, with eggs, juice, fresh fruit, and potatoes. Our room is nice because it is in a suite with a living room and kitchenette. I let Paul have the bed and I will use the couch. After our breakfast, we headed to our placements, still in a little disbelief about what happened the day before. I’ve taken Shadi’s advice and decided to work on the Ron Paul campaign. He told me that at this campaign they have given him more important tasks than just phonebanking and I would like to have the opportunity to experience working on a campaign for a Republican. Actually, I tend to agree with many of Paul’s views, like more power to the states, ending the war in Iraq, strict fiscal conservativism, and limited federal government. I know this can seem like a contradiction coming from Joe Biden to Ron Paul, but there are more than enough things that I completely disagree with Paul on. Regardless, I thought that since I only have a few more days left here, I wanted to work on a campaign that was busy and active.


I’m glad I did.

On my first day at this campaign, they sent me and a few others to the studios of MCAM TV-23, Manchester Public Access to set up a town hall meeting with Dr Paul and undecided voters. It was great. I’ve never actually worked in a television studio and it was great to see how the producers design the sets and get ready to go on air. I thought it was interesting to see all of the other sets for the other shows in the building. We set up chairs in the room, and even created an overflow room with plenty of chairs just in case. The Paul people were a little worried that they would not be able to fill the entire room, but when the show went to air, there were people cramming in the halls to hear Dr Paul. As the event filled up, Kate asked me to stand by the door of the green room as security. It was very exciting. After a few minutes, a tall man standing next to me kept looking in the window. I wasn’t sure what, if anything I should do. Suddenly, another man walked up to the tall man and asked “Mr Goldwater, may I have your autograph?” It turns out I was standing next to Barry Goldwater Jr, a strong supporter of Ron Paul’s. It was great to be a part of this. Part one of the town hall meeting can be watched right here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxldrCsVByA&feature=user







with former Congressman Barry Goldwater Jr

No comments: